Translate

mardi 25 mars 2008

Direct from a Peter Mayle Novel !


Whether you are from England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, the US of A, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, what else ..Welcome on this blog !

We hope it will give you a flavour of an authentic Luberon village.

Maybe you will find it a little different from what can be found in Peter Mayle's books. Somewhat more modern, but oh! sooooooo "Southern-France"!

However we ARE in one of Peter's Mayle's book .. just look below at the excerpt on the Restaurant de la Fontaine : that is us ! and he really caught the spirit of the place .. Thank you Peter Mayle !

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/French-Lessons/Peter-Mayle/e/9780375705618#TABS


from "French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew by Peter Mayle
Publisher: Knopf Publishing Group
Pub. Date: April 2002
ISBN-13: 9780375705618
227pp


"Fate intervened. I had stopped at a fork in the road. Chance made me turn right instead of left, and two minutes later I arrived in the miniature village of Saint Martin de la Brasque. It was a sight to restore one's faith in shortcuts. There was a tiny square; the houses on it had their windows shuttered against the heat. Tables and chairs were set out in the shade cast by a line of plane trees, and lunch was being served.


The air was so still I could hear the splash of the village fountain, one of the best of all summer sounds. I was delighted that I hadn't stayed in Aix.I don't remember exactly what I ate that first time under the trees at the Restaurant de la Fontaine, but I do remember thinking that the food was like the most satisfying kind of home cooking: simple, generous, and tasty.


I was given a table next to the fountain, an arm's length from the wine keeping cool in the water.


Madame Girand, the young proprietor, told me that her husband was the chef, and that the restaurant stayed open throughout the year. Since then, I've been back many times. The food has always been good and the restaurant has nearly always been well attended, even in winter. Word has spread. People come from as far away as Aix, or from the other side of the Luberon, an hour or more by car. Ça vaut le voyage"